You’ve found the perfect new apartment in your favorite part of town, and now all that’s left is to pack up and … wait … where did all this stuff come from? Have you always had this many coffee mugs, pairs of shoes, and house plants? You may begin to speculate on the best way to pare down your possessions and get everything packed efficiently.
Fortunately, the team at Black Tie Moving has helped many apartment residents take on the exact challenge you’re facing, and we’ve put together some tried and true tips to help you with a quick and painless apartment move.
Tips for a Successful Apartment Move
- Buy a moving notebook. Technically, you could do this on your computer or the old-fashioned way (as in an actual notebook, with paper). Let this serve as the keeper of your moving details. You can jot down your move-in date, measurements for your new apartment, to-do lists, etc. It’s nice to have everything in one place; plus, it’ll be fun to look through later on when you’re relaxing in your sweet new apartment.
- Select a great apartment moving company. While Google can provide endless information on moving preparedness, nothing will help your move go off without a hitch like hiring seasoned pros who are familiar with your unique moving needs. Hiring movers will undoubtedly increase efficiency, and they often have insight into the best vendors for recycling unwanted items or scheduling junk removal.
- Transfer your information. This is certainly a time-consuming task, but it’s a great one to check off your list early on. Research your new utility companies or contact current ones to schedule the transfer of your services. Make sure everything is set to be turned on in your new apartment by your move-in date. Utilities you may need to schedule/transfer include:
- Trash pickup
- Home cleaning services
- Change your address. Luckily, the postal service makes this process pretty simple. All you have to do is fill out a form at your local post office, or visit them online to complete it. (As an added bonus, they will often mail you a small packet of coupons for furniture, home supply stores, etc.)
- Clean and repair your old apartment. This means taking down all of your photos, artwork, and décor. Hopefully you used Command strips to avoid any damage to your walls (if not, definitely invest in those for the new place). Make sure everything is in top-notch shape for the inevitable walk-through with your landlord to ensure you receive your security deposit refund in full.
- Sanitize your appliances. Your freezer and refrigerator will likely be the last things you pack up. Just make sure you allot time for defrosting, sanitizing, and drying before you head out for good.
- Label your moving boxes. This will allow you to place the boxes in their corresponding rooms, streamlining the tedious unpacking process. Be sure to clearly mark boxes that are heat sensitive so they won’t be left in the moving truck for too long.
- Document any damage in your new apartment prior to move-in. Take photos of any dents, bumps, scratches, or issues in your new apartment and send them to your landlord prior to moving in. This will prevent you from being held liable later down the line.
- Unpack necessities first. This means you’ll need to load them into your moving truck last. If you hire professional movers, they will know to do this. However, if you’re going it alone, the last thing you want to do is spend all day working only to realize your bedding, towels, shower supplies, and pajamas are unreachable.
- Deep clean your new apartment. This is the only time in the history of you being there that you won’t need to move the sofa to vacuum underneath it or take everything out of the fridge to wipe it down. Take advantage of the empty space and get the peace of mind that comes with knowing your new apartment is up to your standards of cleanliness.
- Say good-bye to your old views. It’s important to appreciate the small things at every juncture. You may find it both fun and comforting to document various “viewpoints” from your previous apartment and reflect on them later. Take a photo from your kitchen table, your couch, or your balcony. While your literal view may be changing, this will serve as a reminder of all the memories you created in your old place, which paved the way for a new start!
Let Black Tie Moving Roll Out the Red Carpet for Your Move!
While moving to a new apartment has its challenges, don’t forget that it’s also an exciting chapter in your life – you deserve to enjoy the experience! If you have an upcoming apartment move, don’t feel like you have to handle it alone. Black Tie Moving will provide you with expert moving services catered to your specific needs. Our a la carte services let you select only the moving services you need, saving you time and money!
We know firsthand how challenging an apartment move can be, which is why we treat you like a VIP throughout the entire moving process. Give us a call at (844) 920-2966 or schedule your free moving estimate online today and let us roll out the red carpet for your next move!
Subscribe to Black Tie Moving's Blog
Get Black Tie Moving's latest articles straight to your inbox. Enter your name and email address below.