Did you know that 67% of households in the U.S. have pets? That’s approximately 85 million pet owners! With numbers that high, it’s safe to say that many of these pets have lived alongside their owners in more than one location. If the thought of transporting your animal companion across town or across the country to your new home seems intimidating, you’re not alone! It can be stressful on you and your pet to move to new and unfamiliar surroundings. However, there are important steps you can take during the planning phase to ensure that your upcoming move goes smoothly for everyone in your household, including your pets!
Black Tie Moving offers complete moving concierge services to handle every aspect of your move, from quality packing and supplies to helping you secure the best transport services available for your pets!
Planning Your Pet’s Move
The most important thing you can do for your lovable family pet is to jump on the planning early. Finding the right service to move your pet may take time, and waiting until the last minute could leave you in a bind. If you are travelling across the country, you may want to hire a pet handling agency, as they will take care of all the details of shipping required for your pet, including boarding, pick-up, and delivery. Here is a general list of to-do items you should handle before moving your pet.
- Take your pet to the vet for a checkup and to get a copy of all health documents. If you will be required to show a valid entry permit (depending on the state you’re moving to and the type of pet you have), and you can apply for this as well. You may also want to inquire about sedation options for your pet’s travel, as well as recommendations for a vet in your new city.
- Make sure your pet has identification tags. In the off chance that your pet gets loose, these will help those around you easily identify your pet’s name and your contact info.
- Review your destination state’s pet entry regulations. Just about every state has laws that apply to the entry of dogs, cats, horses, birds, and other pets. If you don’t comply with these laws, you could find yourself facing a hefty fine, so be sure to check them out prior to arrival.
- Identify pet-friendly hotels if you are driving to your new home. For long-distance moves, it’s a great idea to scope out some pet-friendly hotels prior to departure. Try https://www.petswelcome.com/ or http://www.pet-friendly-hotels.net/ for a list of pet-welcoming accommodations!
- Make sure your pet carriers are secure and well ventilated. Moving can be stressful on even the most obedient of pets. It may be helpful to bring along water from your previous home, and put something with your scent in their carrier to comfort them during transport.
- Factor in some leashed potty breaks! Make sure you stop frequently to allow your pet to use the bathroom, and be sure to leash your pet when they’re stretching their legs. Don’t forget to bring bags to clean up after them before getting back on the road!
Moving your pet responsibly doesn’t have to put added stress on you, especially when you enlist the help of professionals. In fact, securing the proper moving service for your family’s best friend can provide everyone in your household with a much-needed sigh of relief.
Let Black Tie Moving help you find the perfect means of travel for your pet through our comprehensive concierge services! Call us at (844) 920-2966 or schedule your move conveniently online today!
Subscribe to Black Tie Moving's Blog
Get Black Tie Moving's latest articles straight to your inbox. Enter your name and email address below.