Moving into a new home is exciting whether it’s a brand new residence or it’s your dream fixer-upper. There are a few things you’ll want to take care of before, during, and after your move that will make the process much less stressful. After confirming your move date and appointment with your Dallas moving company, it’s time to make a few lists.
Responsibilities Before You Move
There are some tasks you’ll want to complete before your moving services arrive to transport your possessions. If everything you own is already on a truck and headed to its destination, it’s probably too late to complete some of these tasks. That’s why it’s always important to start thinking about these projects well in advance of your move date.
Here are a few things you’ll want to think about before you move:
- Have your home and yard treated for pests. You have a few options here. You can either call an exterminator and conduct a major inspection with a professional, or you can go through the house (if you’re local to your new residence) and set off a few bug bombs.
- Get your new home cleaned. If you’re moving into a brand new home, you might not need to call the cleaning services, but a dusting and some attention from a broom never hurts. The best time to clean is when your house is empty, and your moving company hasn’t yet dropped off all your boxes.
- Swing by the local grocery store. Don’t spend your first night in your new home without some snacks and food. The last thing you’ll want to do the first day you move in is cook a meal. Get something easy to prepare. Go to the grocery store and pick up some bottled water and basic sandwich supplies. A call to the local pizza place can also do the trick.
- Designate boxes as essentials. Your Dallas moving company will clearly label your boxes, but you might want to go a little further with your own markings. You might think about putting highly visible yellow stickers on boxes that are “must open” for the day you arrive at your home.
When You Arrive at Your New Home
After all your possessions are on the truck with your long distance moving company and you’re ready to start the journey to your new home, you’re only a few days away from moving into your new home. Or, if you’re working with local movers, your arrival at your new home could be just a few minutes or hours away.
Here’s what you’ll want to put on your “to do” list after you arrive at your new home:
- Put curtains in the bedrooms. You won’t realize it until it’s dark, and you have bare windows that everyone can see into your home in the middle of the night. The sun will also come streaming in with a vengeance in the morning. Consider having your curtain rods and blinds on hand to install immediately.
- Take a look at the fuse box. You’ll want to familiarize yourself with the location of the fuse box. Even if you don’t need to reset the box for a year, don’t get caught in the dark and have no idea where the box sits. You’ll also want to locate the main water valve, just in case of emergencies.
- Change the locks. You can perform this task after you arrive, but don’t wait too long to switch all the locks in your house. There’s no telling how many pet sitters, family friends, and other random people have copies of your house keys.
- Recycle your boxes and packing materials. Don’t load up the trash barrels with cardboard and bubble wrap. Make sure you recycle everything you can as you unpack your home. You can also help out another family. Put an advertisement on Craigslist for “free boxes” if your boxes are in good condition.
You have a lot of tasks to accomplish for your upcoming move. Work with Black Tie Moving, one of the most respected local moving companies in the Dallas area. Start your journey to a new home with a call and a moving estimate.
Subscribe to Black Tie Moving's Blog
Get Black Tie Moving's latest articles straight to your inbox. Enter your name and email address below.